A rare map of Portland Maine engraved in 1834 by D. G. Johnson. Oriented to the northwest this map covers peninsular Portland from the Pore River to Portland Harbor, including parts of adjacent Westbrook and Cape Elizabeth. Portland's development at his point was confined to the isthmus between Bracket Street and Washington Avenue. This map thus significantly predates the extensive development of Portland's east end, then known as Mount-Joy, today referred to as Munjoy Hill. Color coding identifies city wards and a reference table in the lower left quadrant notes 12 important civic and religious centers.This map is quite rare. There is some indication that it may have been issued as early as 1831. Other examples, with a different imprint and numerous updates, but clearly from the same plate, were issued as late as 1846. The cartographer, identified here as D. G. Johnson, is very likely to be D. Griffing Johnson, an enigmatic but important cartographic figure active primarily in New York City before the American Civil War. If it is the same Johnson, then this is his earliest known may be more than 15 years.