An exceptionally beautiful 1867 James Norie and Charles Wilson nautical chart or maritime map of the Canary Islands and Madeira, including part of western Africa. As a whole the map offers excellent detail with inland topography on all of the islands as well as countless depth soundings throughout. There are three inset detail maps in the lower left quadrant focusing on Arrecife, Funchal, and Santa Cruz. There are an additional seventeen land profile charts filling the upper right and lower right quadrants. The title is set in an elaborate typeface just outside the map's upper border. The Canary Islands were a popular stopping point for ships traveling between Europe and the Americas. By the time this map was made, Madeira was known around the world for its fine desert wines, among the most popular luin xury beverages in the Western Hemisphere throughout the 17th and 18th centuries. Cartographically this map is based on the work of J. S. Hobbs. It was engraved by Charles Wilson, of 'Norie and Wilson,' a nautical publishing firm based at 157 Leadenhall Street, London.