This is a nice 1836 first edition map of the city of Liverpool, England issued by the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge, or S.D.U.K. Highly detailed, the map notes individual streets, buildings, parks, markets and docks. An inset in the top right features a plan of Liverpool in 1729 while another inset depicts a beautifully illustrated view of Liverpool in 1729. An inset illustrating the Black Rock Lighthouse is also included. The bottom of the map includes an artistic profile of some of the most important buildings of the city. Nineteenth century Liverpool was a bustling port city through which nearly 40% of the world's trade passed. Construction of major buildings throughout the city reflected this wealth. In 1830, Liverpool and Manchester became the first cities to have an intercity rail link, through the Liverpool and Manchester Railway. The population continued to rise rapidly, especially during the 1840s when Irish migrants began arriving by the hundreds of thousands as a result of the Great Famine. By the late 19th century, Liverpool's economy was drawing immigrants from across Europe. This map is part of A Series of Maps, Modern and Ancient, issued by subscription. Each folder in the series would contain a set of two maps bound together. The map accompanying this folder, not included here, was of Dublin. Original folder includes the names of committee members of the ‘Society', list of maps previously published, the folder number, which is this case is Lin xIV, its contents and the printer and publication details. This map was engraved and printed by T. Starling and issued by the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge's subscriber's edition folder. The folder at the time was priced at 1 shilling plain or 1 shilling 6 pence colored. Published by Baldwin and Cradock.